Gender reassignment surgery (GRS) is a complex and delicate surgery that should be performed by an experienced surgeon such as Chesapeake Urology's Karen E. Boyle, M.D. Dr. Boyle, a board-certified urologist and experienced surgeon in sexual health and reconstruction, offers expertise and comprehensive care to her patients.
Whether it's performing orchiectomies, addressing genital pain, assessing urinary complaints, performing vaginoplasty, labiaplasty, genital revision surgeries, and sexual health following GRS surgery, Dr. Boyle is committed to the compassionate care and individual needs of each patient seeking gender reassignment surgery.
MALE TO FEMALE SURGERY
Dr. Boyle performs her gender affirming surgeries with plastic surgeon Dr. Rachel Bluebond-Langner at The University of Maryland. Dr. Boyle and Dr. Bluebond-Langner will see patients in consultation for surgery, and perform a one-stage genital affirming surgery for male-to-female patients.
Listen to Dr. Karen Boyle talk about the transgender surgery on 98 Rock Baltimore:
STEPS OF THE MALE TO FEMALE SURGERY
The steps of the procedure include:
- Creating a neovagina (new vagina).
- Orchiectomy or removal of the testicles (if the testicles are present).
- Using the inverted penile skin and scrotal skin to line the vagina.
- The nerves and blood supply to the glans are identified and preserved to provide for sensation and orgasm, and the clitoris is formed.
- The clitoral hood, inner labia (labia minora) and outer labia (labia majora) are also created during this one-stage procedure.
Patients from other surgeons may seek a secondary procedure to their reconstructed genitalia. There is a wide variation in surgical technique, and patients may desire further surgery to better define or create their labia minora, remodel their labia majora, create a clitoral hood, remove spongy tissue from near the urethra that can be bothersome with sexual activity, and urethral reconstruction.
Associated procedures that Dr. Boyle performs include:
- Labiaplasty (2nd stage) - Labiaplasty is a procedure to reshape or reduce the size of the skin which surrounds the vaginal opening. It is also called “labia minora reduction,” “labia reduction,” or “inner lip reduction.”
- Orchiectomy - Removal of the testis
- Revision surgery
Procedures that Dr. Rachel Bluebond-Langner will perform:
- Breast augmentation
- Tracheal shave
- Facial feminization surgery
- Body Contouring